autoPACK: INSTALLATION for Blender 2.7x (includes autoPACK and ePMV in one complete Blender package)
This installation includes uPy, ePMV, & autoPACK
This early installation for autoPACK is an alpha version- save your work often.
uPy (ubiquitous Python API) enables ePMV and autoPACK to work in Autodesk 3ds Max, Maya, SoftImage, Cinema 4D, Blender and DejaVu by writing only one plugin instead of >5.
ePMV (embedded Python Molecular Viewer) provides all of the capabilities of molecular graphics and molecular mechanics software directly in your C4D GUI.
autoPACK positions 3D geometries into, onto, and around volumes with minimal to zero overlap. autoPACK mixes several packing approaches and procedural growth algorithms. autoPACK can thus place objects with forces and constraints to allow a high degree of control ranging from completely random distributions to highly ordered structures.
cellPACK is a specialization of autoPACK that generates probabilistic 3D models of large sections of cells that can contain dozens to trillions+ of molecules. It can position these molecules to recapitulate observed data where available and can further optimize the molecular interactions on a local level as each molecule is placed into a mesoscale model.
The Blender installation simply involves decompressing a complete version of Blender and activating the plugin. If you have some computer experience, the entire process should take less than 1 minute after downloading.
If you encounter difficulties, please visit the forum to search for answers or ask questions.
We ask that you fill out the optional survey to help us improve the installation procedure.
Written or Video Installation Instructions
- The written instructions below will always be the most up to date, but you may prefer to follow the video instructions.
- As of Thursday, November 22, 2012, the written and video tutorials match, but please confirm all steps with the written instructions.
- Suggested minimum system requirements for autoPACKBlender
- 2 GHZ Quad Core CPU
- 4 GB RAM
- 3 Button Mouse
- Open GL Graphics Card with 1GB RAM
Installation of Blender with the uPy Plugin Package containing GUIs for ePMV & autoPACK
- Download the plugins for your system :
- Mac OS 64bits Blender 2.7x upy-Blender-mac-64.zip
- Linux 64bits Blender 2.7x upy-Blender-linux-64.zip
- Windows 64bits Blender 2.76 (python 3.4) upy-Blender-win-64.zip
- Windows 64bits Blender 2.78 (python 3.5) upy-Blender2.78-win-64.zip
- unzip and move the content of the extracted folder in the blender folder next to the blender executable (you should have MGLToolsPckgs and upy-addons.zip )
- install add-ons upy-addons.zip using blender user preferences interface.
- follow the step Activation of the uPy Plugin Package with ePMV & autoPACK
Download the zipped package (Blender+plugin) for your system:
Mac OS 64 bit
2.62 64bit- uPy-aP-eP_blender2.62_mac64_1_0_app.zip 2.68a 64bit uPy-aP-eP_blender2.68a_mac64_1_0_app.zip Unzip and open the blender-2.62release-OSX_10.6_x86_64 folder Double-click blender to launch Windows
- 64bit- uPy-aP-eP_blender2.62_win64_1_0_app.zip
- 32bit- uPy-aP-eP_blender2.62_win32_1_0_app.zip
- Unzip and launch blender.exe by double-clicking
2.62 64bit- uPy-aP-eP_blender2.62_linux64_1_0_app.zip
2.62 32bit- uPy-aP-eP_blender2.62_linux32_1_0_app.zip 2.68a 32bit- uPy-aP-eP_blender2.68a_linux-glibc27-i686_1_0_app.zip
Unzip and run epmv-blender bash script or type source setenvTk.sh bash script to configure the library path to Tk,
then run with ./blender
Activation of the uPy Plugin Package with ePMV & autoPACK
- Activate the plugin:
- In the top left menu
- Click File > User Preferences (Follow image below)
- Click on the Add-Ons Tab
- Click the System Category to simplify the list
- Check [√] autoPACK
- Check [√] ePMV
- Check [√] ePMV synchro
- Click [Save As Default]
- Click File > Save User Setting
- Launch ePMV or autoPACK by clicking one of the icons and test/learn as describe below
- Either GUI you launch will appear below the Object Tools (in the same palette) to the left of the Viewport
- Simply scroll down the palette or fold the >Object Tools to access the plugin
- If you open a subWindow in ePMV or autoPACK, it will appear lower down in that same palette and may require an action like clicking an "OK or Cancel" button to continue if you open such a subWindow.
Complete basic tutorials for ePMV and autoPACK
- If you are new to ePMV or new to molecular graphics, please complete the Basics Tutorial/Survey hybrid. This will guide you through all of the common functions/buttons of the ePMV GUI and simultaneously introduces you to the science and the data types ePMV can work with.
- This alpha version of autoPACK will improve several times each week and the tutorials will expand
- For now, follow the first steps and then the basic tutorials then experiment on your own. If you find a bug, check the forum to see if its already been fixed, and if not, let us know.
- Blender specific tutorials for autoPACK will be posted by January 7, 2013.
- Find a long list of Blender specific tutorials for ePMV at http://epmv.scripps.edu/documentation/tutorials
- Update your ePMV and autoPACK software frequently to get the latest performance, stability and functionality enhancements with just a couple clicks directly from within the GUIs!
Improve your software by volunteering to complete the surveys regularly
- Survey page
- The Installation Survey takes less than 30 seconds and will help us improve/simplify the experience.
- The ePMV Basics Tutorial Survey will help you become an advanced-beginner level ePMV user and molecular artists in <40 minutes. It will also help us improve software performance.
- A similarly detailed autoPACK Basics Tutorial Survey will post by January 7, 2013.